The Urban Policy Unit was set up in January 2001 to ensure the correct implementation of the federal urban policy. It is part of the Government Service for Social Integration, Poverty and Social Economy.
Motivated by a deep concern for the urban social climate, various specialists are now bringing their expertise to bear upon the following issues by:
- providing advice on projects proposed by municipal authorities regarding conventions for “Sustainable City” contracts signed by the federal government and the cities
- organising conventions with the different cities
- evaluating the implementation of projects represented in the conventions, in terms of finances as well as content
- preparing documents and implementing measures taken by the federal government with regard to urban policy
- developing urban expertise, by supporting and keeping up with scientific research concerning urban development
- promoting and organising exchanges between cities and municipalities benefiting from the programme
- cooperating with European and intergovernmental initiatives, with special focus on sustainable urban development.
Cellule Politique des Grandes Villes, SPP Intégration Sociale, Bâtiment WTC II, Boulevard Roi Albert II, 30 ,1000 Brussels (26th floor) - Tel 02.508.85.85 - Fax 02.508.86.10 (or 02.508.86.18) - Mail : email@example.com.